Possibly the most important advice anyone contemplating relocation will ever receive is to start planning as early as possible. Proper preparation and planning are essential for a smooth and stress-free process of moving house. Allow yourself as much time as you possibly can; expect the unexpected!
1. At least 4 weeks before your impending move it is suggested that you begin collecting the materials you will need for packaging. These include boxes and packing crates; ropes, strings and straps; sticky tape, and padding (keep your old newspapers to protect your boxed up items to save money as opposed to buying special wrapping paper).
2. Finalise contracts in plenty of time – you don’t want them falling through after you have booked removals and storage or any required travel and accommodation arrangements. Notify relevant financial institutions (e.g. banks and insurance agents), friends and family of your new address. Tax authorities and other government agencies will also need to be informed. Doctors, dentists and other service providers should also know of your relocation. Arrange with the Post Office for your letters to be forwarded.
3. Work out your moving budget. Do your homework. Compare the many kinds of movers available to suit your finances. Research reviews. Book your removal services a month in advance.
4. As you get to 2 weeks prior to your moving date it is time to arrange for helpers to be with you for packing and loading. Your family and friends might be pleased to lend a hand towards cheap removals. It is now time to confirm travel reservations and transfer bank accounts to your new address.
5. Make sure you have all necessary documents safely to hand. Keep bank cards and cash somewhere reachable but secure.
6. Prepare a supply of old blankets, bubble wrap, and packing paper. Have a variety of sizes of strong boxes ready. You will also need scissors and marker pens to write on the boxes. Mark each box with your destination as well as a list of the contents and for which room in the new home they are destined. A tape measure can also be handy when loading to ensure that your belongings will fit into the available space.
7. The British Association of Removers (BAR) list reputable house movers and will support you if anything should happen to go wrong with the removal company you choose. Selecting a BAR member should give peace of mind throughout the potentially tense transference of your cherished belongings from one place to another. This professional trade association provide pre-payment protection for the customer and offer advice as well as an independent dispute resolution facility in the event of any difficulties that occur during the relocation procedure.
It is a common issue during the relocation process that the new home is not free for occupancy until after the old one has to be vacated. In these circumstances, it can be necessary to arrange to put your possessions into secure storage facilities. You might also need to find suitable temporary accommodation for your family and pets. Make sure that your belongings are neatly packed in robust boxes that stack tidily to minimise the storage space required.
Avoid Damage By... Moving Preparations...
Price Your Move
International Moving Companies (4) Moving Checklist (6) Moving Tips (36) Packing Tips (18) Removals (405) Removals and Storage (2)
October 2016 October 2015 September 2015 July 2015 May 2015 April 2015 March 2015 February 2015 January 2015 December 2014 November 2014 October 2014 September 2014 August 2014 July 2014 June 2014 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 December 2010 November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 March 2009 February 2009 January 2009 December 2008 October 2008 May 2009 September 2008 July 2008