Removals Pimlico - Amazing Moves are London based house removal and office removals company specializing in all aspects of house removals, storage and packaging for private and business customers.
We specialize in flat removals, house removals to and from Pimlico area, house moving, man and van service London moves and removals.
Our goal is to provide high quality removals services to residential and business customers in London and UK at affordable prices.
We offer a flexible removal service, which will suit every customers' needs.
Some keyword phrases you can use to find us include the following: removals, man and van, house removal, house moving, movers, removal companies, moving service, man with a van, man and van hire.
Pimlico is a small area of central London in the City of Westminster that is primarily residential and well known for its collection of small hotels.
The area is roughly delimited by Victoria Station to the north and the River Thames to the south, spanned by Vauxhall Bridge, which allows ready access to Vauxhall. The entire district was formerly owned by the Grosvenor family.
The large majority of the buildings in Pimlico are residential and were designed by the architect/builder Thomas Cubitt. A statue of Cubitt can be seen in the area.
In the 16th and 17th centuries, the Manor of Ebury (from which Pimlico's Ebury Street gets its name) was divided up and leased by the Crown to servants or favourites. In 1623, James I sold the freehold of Ebury for £1,151 and 15 shillings (£1,151.75). The land was sold on several more times, until it came into the hands of heiress Mary Davies in 1666.
Mary's dowry not only included "The Five Fields" of modern-day Pimlico and Belgravia, but also most of what is now Mayfair and Knightsbridge. Understandably, she was much pursued, but in 1677 married Sir Thomas Grosvenor. The Grosvenors were a family of Norman descent long seated at Eaton Hall in Cheshire who until this auspicious marriage were but of local consequence in their native county of Cheshire. Through the development and good management of this land the Grosvenors acquired enormous wealth.
At some point in the late 17th or early 18th century, Pimlico ceased to be known as Ebury or "The Five Fields", and gained the name by which it is now known:
At one time a district of public gardens much frequented on holidays. According to tradition, it received its name from Ben Pimlico, famous for his nut-brown ale, His tea-gardens, however, were near Hoxton, and the road to them was termed Pimlico Path, so that what is now called Pimlico was so named from the popularity of the Hoxton resort.
The name may also derive from a Spanish word for drink, or even from the Native American Pamlican tribe, as many locals believe. By the 19th century, and as a result of an increase in demand for property in the previously unfashionable West End of London following the Great Plague of London and the Great Fire of London, Pimlico had become ripe for development. In 1825, Thomas Cubitt was contracted by Lord Grosvenor to develop Pimlico.
It was Cubitt who built Eaton Square, which typifies Pimlico's architecture with its white stucco houses and garden square.
As early as the latter half of the century, however, Pimlico saw the construction of several Peabody Estates - charitable housing projects designed to provide cheap, quality homes for the poor. In addition, in the post-war period, several largepublic housing estates were built in the area - on land cleared by German bombing - and many of the fine Victorian houses were converted to other uses, e.g. bed and breakfast hotels. This led to the area developing an interesting social mix, and an unusual character combining exclusive restaurants and residences with Westminster Council run facilities and working-class shopping arcades. In 1950, embarrassed by the slums and brothels with which Pimlico had become associated in the press and criminal courts, the Second Duke of Westminster sold the part of the Grosvenor estate on which it is built.
Now, as in Central London in general, Pimlico property prices are high, and the area is again fashionable. A large number of houses have once again been repurposed, being divided into one or two bedroom apartments intended for young professionals.
Pimlico's most famous attraction is the Tate Britain on Millbank. Millbank is a Ward independent of Pimlico. So the Tate is noton Millbank, it is in Millbank but has Pimlico underground station located close by. This is the original Tate Gallery and is home, as the name suggests, primarily to art of specifically British origin.
The district's association with fine art has been reinforced by the Chelsea College of Art and Design's recent move to the former Royal Army Medical College next to the Tate. This has also had the happy result of opening up the spacious college quadrangle so that the three extensive and elaborate red brick college blocks can be appreciated (see picture below).
Pimlico is also home, on its boundary with Belgravia, to the National Audit Office, which occupies the former headquarters of Imperial Airways on Buckingham Palace Road as well as the National records of statistics.
Pimlico School, Westminster City Council :: Belgravia, Brompton, Chelsea , Millbank, Vauxhall, Westminster, Victoria, South Kensington, West Brompton, Fulham, Battersea, Sloane Square, South Kensington.